Wednesday 11 November 2009

LEARNING TO KNIT

I can't remember exactly how old I was when I first learnt to knit. What I can remember is that my grandma and my mum were my teachers. I knitted many little garter stitch scarves for my dolls and many different coloured squares which were eventually going to be sewn up to make a patchwork blanket. Well, that never happened, because as we all know, I can't sew! My grandaughter Charlotte has been asking me to teach her to knit. At only 3 years old I wasn't sure if it was too soon. However on Sunday I searched through the hundreds of needles I keep in my loft and managed to find a bendy, plasticky pair which I thought might be suitable plus an odd ball of pink wool. She's a pink girl!!!!
Yesterday, as soon as she came through the front door she said, "Are you teaching me to knit today, Granny?" and I thought mmm, I'm going to have to give this a go!
As soon as her baby sister had nodded off to sleep out came the needles and wool. I started off with a Heath & Safety warning on the dangers of misusing the needles. [I can't remember my own mother doing the same, but I'm married to a Heath & Safety Manager, so I think it's rubbed off on me]. Anyway, after nodding and trying to take control of the needles she said that she understood. Realistically by the look on her face I could read she was actually thinking," for goodness sake Granny get on with it." So, she eventually climbed up onto my lap ready to start knitting her scarf for her dolly, Poppy.
I was impressed, she really tried to wind the wool around the needle and between us we did about 3 rows. She wasn't so impressed that the scarf wasn't growing at the pace she would have liked but agreed to have another go next time she visits.
I did smile this morning when I looked in my knitting basket, her little needles and wool were resting alongside mine. How cute!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi. Unable to find your blog myself, so used Miriam's followers to find you. Love the writing, I really think you should have a go at writing a story for Charlotte. Lovely lunch!

    ReplyDelete